Tuesday, August 01, 2006

cbc's programming


I was reading on Marc and Kylie's blog about the infamous debaucle at the CBC regarding "the one". I'm not going to talk about that because I think everything has been said on that matter. What I will comment on is "the decline in quality of their radio programming recently" that Marc alluded to. Though perhaps I'm taking this quote out of context, I have been very impressed with certain aspects of the CBC's radio programming as of late, particularly the 9:30am timeslot. (I must agree however partly with the decline of their programming, for example: Freestyle, I dislike that show, and can't believe they got rid of Richardson's Roundup) Let me get back to the 9:30am timeslot.
Monday: Global Perspectives, a collection of documentaries from around the world
Tuesday: The Contrarians, unpopular ideas that just might be right (brilliant episode today on feminism being finished)
Wednesday: Connections, more documentaries from around the world
Thursday: (my personal favourite) Subcultures, a look at subcultures that exist in our society
Friday: Here's the thing, a close-up look at everyday objects

I could go on and on and tell about how much I love Wiretap, Sounds like Canada, Ideas and other CBC radio programming but I don't think I have to. Who can dispute their Canadian-ness and their importance in our Canadian culture.

And don't get me started on cbcradio3. They are high on my list of coolest things ever!

My point you ask? CBC made a dreadful, awful mistake with "the one", but they still have really good programming all over the place.

1 comment:

m+K said...

good points katherine. actually, we cant even get cbc radio 1 here in chilliwack and i never get to listen to the radio at 9:30am anyways. it just seems like lately whenever i get a chance to listen to cbc i get all excited about the good reception and then there's a discussion between 2 guys about their living room furniture, or a show about comdedians that is just not funny. i still like brave new waves though... and that contrarians show sounds great.