Monday, June 26, 2006

it's 1983?! Oh crap.

I've had some people ask me about the title of my blog. For those that don't live in Lethbridge, there is a piece of graffiti that is on the side of a building downtown and I stole my title from this. Or so I thought! I went to go and take a picture of it so those that aren't here could see it and understand the origin of my blog name and what did I find? It's not 1984, its 1983! Crap. I didn't get it right. I'm not changing the name of my blog, but here's the graffiti anyways.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Oops! Oh well, no one else picked up on it either - even those who know and love that particular piece of wall art. I wonder how many lives it's touched? I just imagine someone walking down the alley, weighing their options: "Should I leave my woman and run off with that waitress? Should I steal an old lady's purse? Should I vote Conservative this time?" And then they happen to glace off to the side, and it's like the Voice Of The Almighty speaking right to them: IT'S 1983! GROW UP!

m+K said...

i personally appreciated your apt juxtaposition of the 2 opposing themes of underground rebellion and totalitarian regimes.
give yourself some credit!
marc

Mitz said...

Oh Katherine, you decided to come clean eh? I still think you should have made up something about how you did it on purpose, and come up with some reason the year 1984 is really significant to you. But.... if you start lying on your blog who is going to want to read it and trust you ever again?! I see you made the right decision.

Katherine said...

Well now that you mention it Michelle, 1984 was a significant year. I believe it was that year that I started kindergarden. So really, you could say that I did grow up in 1984 because I was faced with new responsibilities I had never encountered before.

Rob I really like your take on it, that this graffiti is life changing. I believe you're right on this one.

Marc, sometimes you're too smart for me. Could you elaborate? Thanks.

m+K said...

hey katherine
i found your blog title brought to my mind graffiti artists and george orwell's vision of the future at the same time; hence the apt juxtaposition on your part
marc