Friday, June 23, 2006

feminism

I recently read a post on a blog called "a dress a day". It talks about an artist who is wearing the same brown dress for a year in an attempt to make "one small, personal attempt to confront consumerism by refusing to change my dress for 365 days." The artist then goes on to say "But on a feminist note, let's stop agreeing that the best way for women (in particular) to "express themselves" is by purchasing new wardrobe items and putting together daily outfits."

The blogger responds with this:

I am proud to call myself a feminist, as I believe in equal opportunities for women and men. Last time I checked, feminism didn't have a dress code, and, in fact, now that we're on the subject, I am fed up with people who claim that women who enjoy wearing dresses can't be "real feminists". Yes, dresses are traditionally feminine, but really, part of being a feminist, in my opinion, is finally internalizing that "feminine" does not equal "bad" or "weak" or "unworthy."


When I was a teenager and in my early 20s this is the form of feminism I adopted: I thought that femininity was equal to weakness. I never wanted to be the kind of girl who couldn't do things for herself, or needed to ask for help. I was always trying to prove myself by changing my own oil and doing typical "manly" jobs myself. Skipping ahead a few years I believe that my rejection of femininity was to my detriment. Being female is a beautiful thing. Women are DIFFERENT than men and that is to be celebrated. In the same way, men are to be celebrated for their uniqueness as well.


In my true nature of swinging from one extreme to the other, I have a strange preoccupation with the icon of the 50s housewife!

6 comments:

m+K said...

I agree Katherine. Marc once wore the same pair of shorts for three months straight to prove a point, it was really gross. He decided that he wanted to wear shorts through th winter and wore them straight from September to December in our first year of unversity. He also wore duct tape running shoes too. He's lucky I married him after all that. :)

m+K said...

Oops I can't count I mean four.

Sparks said...

I once wore one pair of pants for an entire semester. Even though the goal was to wear the same pair, without washing them, for 120 days straight, I did buckle to the social pressures and washed them. I was loosing friends, and my pants would stand themselves up in the corner of my room at night. As well, I had to start feeding my pants breakfast, and had to get a litter box. All in all, my clothing budget that semester was $0, plus food.

m+K said...

Did I know you then Fraser? I do not remember knowing you when you stank. :) Marc told me that my comment was really rambly and didn't make any sense. I meant that I agreed with what you were saying about feminism and then I did not segue well into the story about Marc but the story about the lady wearing the brown dress for a year reminded me of the shorts saga.

m+K said...

rambly? i do remember saying it didn't make sense, but its not rambly. my wife is very succinct.
marc

Katherine said...

Marc, good job on digging yourself out of that hole.
Kylie, thanks for clarifying your rambly post:) (and good use of the word segue, I didn't know how to spell that word before now)
Fraser, I don't distinctly remember this year where you only wore one pair of pants. Do you feel like it helped release you from the shackles of having to express yourself with what you wear?