While he was off we did so many fun things.
We were delighted to be invited to our friend Megan's cottage for a bit, so we went up there on my birthday and stayed for a few days. There we did some classic cottage activities such as playing games, fishing, sitting on the dock, swimming and reading. It was fabulous.
After the cottage, we headed to Algonquin Park (with the check engine light on, more on that later) to go camping with Tom and Anne Marie. We have never been to Algonquin, which is incredible seeing as how we've been in Ottawa for four years now. We just did some car camping but it was so awesome. All summer I've been longing for some camping and we finally got some in. We stayed at Canisbay Lake Campground which had excellent swimming and really great campsites which surprised me. I guess I was expecting the sites to be all crammed together but they were big and spaced apart and had excellent shade. A necessity when you have a baby napping at all times of the day. William had a great time and took to camping like a pro.
This is where Chris bought a wolf t-shirt. He has been threatening to buy a wolf t-shirt for as long as we've been married, maybe longer. We passed this place on the way home from camping and he whipped around after I pointed it out (what was I thinking?) He finally has one and torments me with it often.
When we got back from camping Chris borrowed a friend's diagnostic tool to investigate the check engine light and the insane rough idle our car was doing. He figured out it was the EGR valve and then proceeded to fix it himself. I'm so proud. It took a few tries, a trip to Princess Auto for some different tools and the brains of Dan, Doug (Chris' Dad) and his, but they did it and now our car is running smoothly.
Next in the series of events was Jen and Brendan's wedding. They got married on the Labour Day weekend in Wakefield Quebec. A short jaunt from Ottawa. Here are some noteworthy photos from the event. The wedding was spectacular. Chris and I were the MCs and had tons of fun doing that. I realized that this was my fourth wedding I've mc-ed. Impressive non? This was the best one yet.
William and Donovan before the wedding. William's Auntie Kirstie gave him the hat which was a huge hit and I found the little bowtie at Workshop, here in Ottawa. Finding dressy clothes for baby boys is so hard!
The wedding in the covered bridge. Perfect!
Finally, Grandpa Doug came for a visit to meet William and we decided to embark on a project. It started out that we thought we'd build a shed for a backyard. Then we figured, maybe we could use the wood from the part of the deck that we wanted to rip out anyways. Then we started talking about building some raised beds for a garden. Then, well, then the project just started. We planned it out on Wednesday, complete with a scale diagram of our backyard. We shopped for a wrecking bar and a circular saw on Thursday and ripped down the railings. On Friday the deck came down and the dirt was delivered. On Saturday we built the raised beds and started hauling the dirt. ON Sunday the wheelbarrowing was complete ( Chris moved six yards of dirt in a wheelbarrow up the substantial hill to our backyard) along with a flower bed in the front as well. Holy Moly, what a work crew! Oh, and in the middle of all that, our dishwasher broke and we got a new one on Kijiji and Doug installed it. I am so excited for my garden next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment