Thursday, July 20, 2006

sushi on the sea

My apologies for slacking on the blog front but I was travelling the world and having a "west coast experience".
After moving out of our house I suddenly had NOTHING to do and found myself in a state of boredom. Chris came home from work and noticed this and told me I should take a trip to Vancouver. I reluctantly agreed with him and set out last week. Some highlights from my trip include:

1. Sushi on the Sea. A man named Captain Ralph has the most amazing sushi restaurant/B&B on his sailboat that is docked in Sooke. My aunt and uncle took me there and it was a definite highlight of the trip. This man has had quite the life and he and the chef came and had their dinner with us. They have two sittings on the weekends, one at 6:00 and one at 8:00 so you can end up having dinner with a whole group of strangers which I think is fantastic. Here's a picture of the signage to help you find your way and my aunt and uncle inside the boat.





2. Learning how to crochet. I have known how to knit for awhile but I've never crocheted. I'm not sure just yet, but I think it may be superior to knitting for the simple fact that its easier and faster. Maybe I find it easier because I have a knitting background though and its a sidestep. Here's a picture of Lisa's necklaces that she's been making and her drilling the seeds she brought back from Guetamala and Nicaragua.




3. The Butchart Gardens. Now you might be thinking, that's an awfully cheesy tourist destination, but let me explain. The Butchart Gardens used to be a limestone quarry. Think of smoke stacks and decimated landscape. The lady of the Butchart household, Jennie decided to reclaim it and make it beautiful. She succeeded. An example like this makes me hopeful when I walk into forests that have been mowed down or see old mine sites that are a wasteland lacking any life. Even though humans have the ability to completely rape and pillage a landscape, we also have the ability to make it beautiful again.



4. Beachcombing. When I lived on Thetis this was my very favourite activity. I love lifting up rocks when the tide is out and discovering all the creatures underneath. I love that when you look at the landscape when the tide is out it looks wretched until you crouch down and take a closer look.



It was so great to be in a great city like Vancouver and it made me quite excited about the upcoming move to Ottawa. To be in a place that has curbside recycling, a transit system that is superb, organic coffee and oh so many wonderful things that our little city doesn't have made me realize how nice it will be to be in a place that does these things.
To finish, a funny picture of Lisa and Lisa. This was the one I took before they were ready. A classic.

No comments: